LWHS Cell Phone Policy
Students and Families
LWHS Cell Phone Policy
Lake Worth High School Cell Phone Policy
Cell phones are strictly prohibited in LWHS classrooms during the school day. Cell phones must be off and out of sight. Students may use cell phones before
8:35 am, in the hallway during passing periods, during designated lunch times, and after 4:05 pm.
The classroom teacher will signal the start of class by reminding students that all phones should be turned off and put away. If a student’s phone is visible or in use after the start of class, the teacher will ask the student for the cell phone.
● If the student surrenders the phone freely, the teacher will call the AP office and state that a phone needs to be picked up. The teacher should secure the phone until an Assistant Principal or School Resource Officer arrives to take possession of the phone. Consequences will be applied as described below.
● If the student refuses to surrender the phone as directed, the teacher will call the AP office and request an escort for the student. An Assistant Principal or School Resource Officer will come to the room immediately to remove both the student and the phone. Consequences will be applied in accordance with the policies below. Students who do not comply with staff directives the first time given, will be suspended for the remainder of the day. Standard disciplinary consequences will still apply.
● First Offense: Phone will be confiscated, parent/guardian will be notified, and the phone will be returned to the student at the end of one school day. (Current policy)
● Second Offense: Phone will be confiscated, parent/guardian will be notified, and the phone will only be returned to the parent/guardian at the end of one school day. (Current policy)
● Subsequent Offenses: Phone will be confiscated, parent/guardian will be notified, the phone will be held until the end of the school day, and will only be returned to the parent/guardian at the end of school day and payment of a $15 fine. (Beginning February 7th, 2022)
All confiscated phones will be securely stored in the AP office.
Teachers may not keep a student’s cell phone with the intent of returning it to the student at the end of the period/day.
All violations of this policy must go through the AP office for documentation purposes. While the focus of this document is cell phones, all electronic devices and accessories not issued by LWISD are prohibited in classrooms during the school day. Violations involving these items will be treated the same as a cell phone.