teach grooming and hygiene, and minimize safety hazards. Students shall be dressed and groomed in a manner that
is clean and neat and that will not be a health or safety hazard to themselves or others. The Lake Worth ISD
prohibits any clothing or grooming that in the judgment of the campus principal may reasonably be expected to
cause disruption of or interference with normal school operations. Any clothing or personal adornment which, in the
judgment of the principal, is likely to create a disruption or otherwise compromise the good order and discipline of
the school is prohibited. Students and parents may determine a student’s personaldress and grooming standards
provided that they comply with the standards listed below.
Dress Code for Students in 7-8grade for School Year 2012 – 2013:
Students shall come to school with appropriate, neat, clean clothing that conforms to the following standards
approved by the LWISD School Board:
1. Solid polo-type buttoned shirts where the logo cannot be bigger than one inch by one inch and must be without
decoration or lace and will be worn in the following approved colors: gray, hunter green, navy blue, or white. Plain
undershirts will be worn in the following approved colors: gray, hunter green, navy blue, black, or white. Shirts must
be loosed fitting and exposure of cleavage and midriff is prohibited. All shirts must come past the waist of their
pants / skirt / shorts / skorts when a student’s arms are raised in the air. All undershirts must be tucked in.
2. Sweatshirts, hooded garments (pullover or zipper), coats or jackets are to be without decoration or printing, and
also be in approved school colors: gray, hunter green, navy blue, or white. The aforementioned items will be worn
appropriately (in the manner for which they were made) with an approved polo-type shirt underneath.
3. Solid blue or black jeans or solid navy, black or khaki (tan)slacks, shorts, skirts, or ―skorts may be worn. Shorts,
skirts, or ―skorts must be modest in appearance and not be more than 2-3" above the knee. Leggings under clothing
do not constitute compliance with the dress code. Pants may not be sagging, have patches or holes, cut-off, split, or
have excessive frayed pant legs. They must be worn at the natural waist at all times.
4. Alternate shirts may be worn for group activities approved by the campus principal.
5. Hairstyles that, in the opinion of the campus administrator, cause a health or safety hazard or cause a disruption of
the educational process (i.e., glitter, un-natural hair colors, mohawks, etched in designs, etc.) shall not be permitted.
Facial hair must be short, trimmed, and neat at all times.
6. Face paint is strictly prohibited without prior administrative approval. Writing on any part of the body is not
7. No hats, head coverings, scarves, bandanas, or sunglasses of any kind are to be brought to school and worn in the
building without prior administrative approval.
8. All students must wear appropriate footwear. Flip-flops, slippers, and house shoes are not permitted.
9. The wearing of heavy chains, spiked jewelry, and body piercing jewelry is prohibited. Students will be asked to
remove jewelry and leave in the nurse’s office. Jewelry will not be returned to the student. All students may have ear
lobes pierced. Boys wearing earrings may only wear studs or small hoops.
10. Gang paraphernalia, symbols, or gestures are strictly prohibited.
11. All tattoos must be covered.
12. Wild Eyes or other similar contacts lenses may not be worn.
All students who, in the opinion of a teacher, are in violation of this dress code will be sent to the Principal or
designee (i.e., assistant principal) for a determination. The Principal or designee will make all final determinations
of dress code violations. Students who are found to be in violation of the dress code will be given an opportunity to
correct the violation. If the student continues to be in violation, they become subject to further disciplinary action as
set forth in the Code of Conduct. The principal, or designee, shall have the right to appraise any current fashion or
fad and determine its appropriateness in relation to this dress code.